Friday, November 06, 2009

Clicking HTTP URL Links in Outlook 2003 on Windows opens two browser windows in Safari

I've seen this happen in both Safari and Firefox. This fix is specific to Safari although the Firefox fix is probably similar.
If you open explorer.exe (the Windows file manager, you can just double click "My Computer" or "My Documents" to get an explorer window) then go into
1) Tools->Folder Options...
2) Then click the File Types tab.
3) I scrolled down and found two entries for:
(NONE) Safari URL
As you can see from the picture, the Delete button was grayed out so I couldn't delete one of them.
4) I selected one of them and clicked Advanced.
In the Actions list was a single entry named "open"

5) I selected that action and clicked Remove.
After that I only get one window in Safari when I click links in Outlook 2003.
I've gotten some feedback from other users (including Firefox) that this isn't always the problem/solution so I'm adding another step here.
You may have to remove the DDE entry. Follow the steps above 1-4. Select "open" and click Edit...

If you see anything in the DDE Message area, just clear it out and click OK.

3 comments:

Ben said...

I'm getting two browser windows opening in Google Chrome now, and I don't have any file types that are repeats. I have some that are similar such as 'HTM' and 'HTML' or 'HTTP' 'HTTP with security' but I'm thinking those are different URLs or extensions. I've fiddled a bit deleting the "open" actions on a few and have seem no change in Microsoft programs opening two pages.

Any ideas?

Ben said...

hmmm, with a bit more fiddling I've at least temporarily fixed the problem. I went into 'edit' for the 'open' action and found a series of symbols had been inserted in the 'Use DDE' box. The symbols read '"%1",,-1,0,,,, ' (outer quotes mine). I noticed they did not used to be there when I had originally set these file extensions to open in Chrome. So I deleted the string and unchecked the Use DDE box.

the only thing is that I had unchecked that box in the past also and have no idea how the numbers and symbols were put in there. But the problem seems to be fixed temporarily, and if I reoccurs I'll bet I find the numbers back in there again. We'll see if I have to deal with this again to find a permanent solution.

Alex said...

I know some tools which works with emails. But yesterday evening I was in the Internet and couldn't find anything. This morning to my good fortune I noticed on a soft blog a next software - pst export tool. And it solved my issues for seconds and utterly free of cost as I bore in mind. Besides it helped some of my familiars too.